|I first saw this picture of Arnold on the cover or Muscle Builder/Power magazine back in about 1967 or so.|
We have had several posts, about Arnold here in the past. Some were critical, most positive. While he is definitely a flawed hero, his influence on the field of weight training and exercise is undeniable. His amazing physique has inspired a generation of trainers, myself included. His accomplishments in the world of entertainment, business, and politics is also a lesson in achievement. As a great man once said, "No success can compensate for failure in the home." We feel bad for Arnold on that count. But as another great leader said, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." I'm not picking up any rocks to throw. When he talks about how to maximize your potential, I pay attention. I like this interview below. It is just a bare bones summary, but it points out that the road to success is paved with failures. Success is not avoiding failure. It is learning from failure, not getting discouraged by it, and persisting in spite of it.
Following is a summary of Arnold Schwarzenegger being interviewed by Tony Doherty at the Arnold Classic Australia.
Here is a quick summary of five success rules he talked about.
1. You won’t always have victories, losses are part of the process.
2. A loser is the one that once knocked down never gets up.
3. Failure will make you stronger if you take responsibility.
4. Two important things about goal setting: One, if you will first encounter the naysayers, ignore them. Two, make sure the goal is grandiose.
5. From his former father in law: tear down the mirror you are looking into, you will then see who you can help.
|Pictures like these inspired a generation of young men to train.|